You know the story. A former decent junior runner comes back 20 odd years later and after a long slog gets to an OK level, but realises time and his body is against him and he’s never going to be anywhere near where he previously was. It causes him to unleash all sorts of irritation over the nation.
Aye OK, it’s me obviously.
Since I started back running I have had a lot of struggles with mobility, pain, stride length and everything in between. Taking injuries out of the way, and there have been a few, I very rarely run entirely pain free and recovery isn’t kind to me. I can only dream of being able to do a steeplechase like I used to, and being as flexible as I used to.
With all this in mind, and with my moans being common knowledge, I have been approached to trial a product called GoPo. This is a rose-hip derived product which claims it may play a valuable role in the care of joints. It is thought that this could help the mobility of my joints. Over the next 12 weeks I will be trying it out and letting you and them know what it has done, if anything. Ideal timing with me being 6 weks away from the Manchester marathon and going from that into speed training to try and run faster on the roads, and maybe even try another steeplechase…
Below I have copied what the literature states. I would like to make it clear however that I am simply doing a three month trial. If I think it’s nonsense I will say it’s nonsense. If I see improvements in my mobility and find the ability to hurdle again or anything like that I will let you know. As always I will be 100% honest and transparent as I am not receiving any payment of any kind to do this trial, only the 3 month pack provided for assessment purposes.
I will give a half way assessment then a full review at the end of the course, can’t say fairer than that.
Build that steeplechase barrier and bring me my speedypants!
first the song:
It’s Lloyd Cole man! https://youtu.be/ETvUR-9vSRQ the literature says that GOPO® Joint Health is made from 100% specially cultivated natural rose-hip and is the only product of its kind to contain a high level of GOPO® – a key component of the rose-hip which may play a valuable role in the care of joints and joint tissues.
GOPO® Joint Health is made from 100% specially cultivated natural rose-hip and is the only product of its kind to contain a high level of GOPO® – a key component of the rose-hip which may play a valuable role in the care of joints and joint tissues.
GOPO® was discovered over 20 years ago in Denmark and significant levels can only be obtained if the rose-hips are dried using a special patented process. GOPO® has been available in Denmark for over ten years and has been the subject of several scientific studies.
New research by GOPO® Joint Health has revealed that joint pain has a negative impact on a range of everyday activities most take for granted. Of 500 respondents; 62% report negative impacts to walking, 57% to sports and fitness, 46% to getting in and out of a car, 26% to socialising, and 25% to work.[i]
In addition, arthritis and joint pain appears to be a big cause of anxiety:i
* 85% of sufferers worry about the future impact of their joint pain on having an active life
* 67% worry about travel
* 54% worry about needing surgery
* 42% worry about future impacts to their sex life
According to Consultant Rheumatologist Dr. Rod Hughes there are simple steps that can be taken to help protect the joints, reduce joint inflammation and ease joint pain. These steps may also help minimise long-term damage and impacts of ageing on the joints – which can include pain, stiffness and even the development of osteoarthritis.
Dr Hughes recommends;
* Switch to a clinically backed natural supplement: 45% of those surveyed took paracetamol for their joint pain which is largely ineffective and has a number of side-effects when taken long term. Instead you could try an option such as the galactolipid GOPO® which is derived from rose-hip (Rosa canina) and has been shown in randomized, placebo controlled clinical trials to significantly reduce arthritis joint pain[ii] and reduce consumption of paracetamol by 40%.[iii] In vitro studies have demonstrated GOPO® has anti-inflammatory properties which have a protective effect on cartilage, potentially even helping cartilage and joint tissues to rebuild and regenerate.[iv]
* Keep active: Physical activity helps synovial fluid circulate in the joint, increases blood flow – which in turn increases oxygen and nutrient flow to the joint – and strengthens muscles supporting the joint. It is important not to overdo exercise or cause injury, but even gentle activities such as walking and swimming are beneficial.
* Treat injuries – Traumatic injury (ligament or meniscal tears) to the knee or hip increases your risk for developing OA in these joints. Effective rehabilitation is very important – always consult a professional if you suspect an injury and follow their advice.
* Eat Well: Being overweight places additional strain on the joints – every pound of excess weight places an additional 4 pounds of extra strain on the knees. However, it’s not just this mechanical loading and wear and tear of joints that is of concern. More recently research has suggested inflammatory processes involved with fat tissues may also affect joints.
According to nutritionist Angelique Panagos; ‘’People often don’t associate joint issues with lifestyle choices and a poor diet but both these play a major role. There are a number of structures in the joint – including bone, cartilage, ligaments, tendons and collagen, which need a good source of nutrients to keep healthy and in good condition. Key nutrients for joint health include vitamin D, Vitamin C and calcium. I advise my clients to up their levels of foods such as broccoli, spinach, tart cherries, garlic, peppers, almonds, kale, and tomatoes in particular for these nutrients. In addition, avoiding foods that can increase <image001.jpg>inflammation, such as high sugar foods, and getting enough exercise are an integral part of joint health too.’’
High levels of the galactolipid GOPO® are found only in GOPO® Joint Health